Friday, February 12, 2010

Learning how to See

Marxhausen taught that seeing is an aggressive act. When a group of art students watched the documentaries about his art, many were surprised to see that he taught art classes outside whenever the weather permitted. His way of seeing seems alien to less experienced artists.

I've decided to practice looking for the kinds of things in nature Marxy taught his students to look for: I'm going to explore how light at different times of day affects certain objects, and I'm going to look for seemingly uninteresting or ugly objects which strike me as aesthetic.

This caught my eye while doing laundry. I saw subtle streaks creating texture around a drain, and the red-orange color of the rusty chair leg complements the red-violet of the drain.

- Duncan


My friend Amber left this comment on the original blog site:

Keep at it! I think you'll find what Marxy is talking about the more you just keep at it. :) How fun!

February 14, 2010 | Unregistered CommenterAmber

No comments:

Post a Comment